send mail from courier-imap-ssl using Trojita e-mail client
Bertil
2014-03-10 10:19:49 UTC

I have an courier email server. (Debian 7.4) courier 0.68-2

In /etc/courier/imapd-ssl

MAILDIRPATH=Maildir

but I get an error meassage when sending email with Torjita 0.4

I can login into the mail account, I see all my mail messages but I
can't send ?

What do I need to check or what is wrong ?

Bertil
Jan Kundrát
2014-03-10 10:45:43 UTC
Post by Bertil
but I get an error meassage when sending email with Torjita 0.4
And what does the error message say?

Jan
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/
Jan Kundrát
2014-03-10 11:02:24 UTC
sorry. You are so fast - thank you !
X APPEND failed: Invalid mailbox name.
Blind shot: that might be because Courier uses mailbox hierarchy where all
mailboxes are nested below INBOX. Make sure that you have a mailbox called
something like "Sent", and use "INBOX.Sent" within the setting dialog as
the name of the folder to store outgoing mail to.

Also, the Courier IMAP implementation is rather limited. You'll get much
better results, both performance- and feature-wise, with Dovecot or Cyrus.
If you have an option of switching, I would recommend doing so. Trojita
will of course work with any compliant IMAP server, but many features do
require server-side IMAP support, and Courier lags behind quite a bit.

Cheers,
Jan
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/
Bertil
2014-03-10 12:10:39 UTC
Jan,

thank you for your recommendations.

attached some screenshots - maybe there is the solution

sqwebmail works fine but not Tojita

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it very mauch.

Bertil
Jan Kundrát
2014-03-10 12:13:17 UTC
Post by Bertil
thank you for your recommendations.
What is in your IMAP -> Settings -> SMTP -> Sent folder name? What happens
when you put "INBOX.Sent" in there?

Jan
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/
Bertil
2014-03-10 13:31:55 UTC
page 2:

There is only a small thing now.

IMAP ==> Settings must be INBOX

mail.merlin-tech,org ssl ok

but LOGINDISABLED ! I think that has to be fixed !

Bertil
Jan Kundrát
2014-03-10 13:40:28 UTC
You are lumping completely unrelated things together. Previously, you
complained about not being able to send mail, now you show a screenshot of
a random telnet session targetting the IMAP port. That won't work.

You have also managed to misconfigure Trojita completely. The correct port
number to use in the SMTP tab is not 143 (that would be IMAP).

Use one the following:
- "Secure SMTP", port 465
- "SMTP", port 587, check the "perform STARTTLS"

These settings are by the way filed in the GUI by default. You had to go an
extra mile to change them.

If these settings also doesn't work, please contact your service provider
and ask them what options to use.

Cheers,
Jan
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/
Bertil
2014-03-10 14:04:42 UTC
Jan,

sorry for this.

So I understood now much more.

Cheers
Bertil
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...
Thomas Lübking
2014-03-10 14:50:39 UTC
Post by Bertil
but LOGINDISABLED ! I think that has to be fixed !
That's a matter of the IMAP server authentication config and ultimately means not to try plaintext athentication (will fail and the password would be transmitted unencrypted) - it has nothing to do with Trojitá (nor SMTP)

Cheers,
Thomas